NOTE: An 8-inch springform pan is best for this recipe so that you can easily remove the cake once it's been assembled. If you do not have a springform pan, line your pan with clear wrap before adding your parchment paper and cake board. You can use the clear warp to lift your cake out of the pan once it's assembled and frozen.
1. Bake chocolate cake according to directions on box for two 8 inch round cakes. Allow cakes to cool.
2. Combine cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla together in the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer. Mix until completely combined and smooth.
3. Fold 8 oz of Cool Whip into ice cream mixture.
To assemble the cake:
1. Line the sides of the 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper should stick up above the top edge of the pan, since the cake will probably be a little taller than your pan. If you want, put a cardboard cake circle in the bottom of the pan.
NOTE: You should be using the same 8-inch pan you used for the chocolate cake. Not all 8-inch pans are exactly the same size. Your cake needs to fit in this pan.
2. Put the first cake layer in the bottom of your pan.
3. Top with half of the vanilla ice cream.
4. Pour a little more than half of the cherry pie filling on top of the ice cream and spread evenly.
5. Add second chocolate cake layer to the pan.
6. Top with remaining vanilla ice cream.
7. Top with remaining cherry pie filling, leaving space on the edges for adding whipped cream.
8. Allow ice cream cake to freeze completely, 6-8 hours.
9. When frozen, remove from springform pan and remove parchment paper from sides.
10. Ice the sides of the cake with remaining Cool Whip and pipe it onto the top edges.
11. Drizzle chocolate sauce over the piped Cool Whip and add cherries on top.