Flag Cake (From Scratch!)

Flag Cake (From Scratch!) on Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com
cake recipes
Back when I was in middle school and high school, my parents had small 4th of July get-togethers. It was mostly family, but as we got older, friends were invited, as well. Nearly every summer, my mom whipped together the iconic flag cake. I’m sure you’ve seen a rendition of it at some point – a yellow or white cake (usually from a box mix), baked in a 9×13-inch pan, covered in Cool Whip, with strategically-placed blueberries and strawberries to represent the American flag. It was a staple at all of those summer parties, and I looked forward to it every year. I haven’t seen one made in ages, and decided that I needed to break the draught this year. Except, I wanted to make it from scratch and I wanted it to look a little more like a true flag. Mission accomplished!

Flag Cake (From Scratch!) on Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com
It goes without saying that this cake is heads and tails better than the version that was churned out in countless kitchens during the 1990′s. Not that there’s anything wrong with a box cake and Cool Whip – I’ve always been an advocate of having some easy recipes in your back pocket for those time crunches – but there’s no denying that a rich, buttery cake topped with cream cheese frosting takes the cake. (I know, I know, the pun.)  You could slather cream cheese frosting on just about anything and I would devour it with gusto.
Flag Cake (From Scratch!) on Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com
The cake is made in a half-sheet pan, which means that there is more than enough for everyone at your 4th of July festivities. this amzing cake recipes The decorating takes a little bit longer, but I think the final look is well worth the extra effort. While I used raspberries, if you prefer strawberries, you could certainly use those. Feel free to decorate the stars on the blueberries any which way; since I had the space, I went with the colonial flag, but do it up however you’d like!
Flag Cake (From Scratch!) on Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com
The ever-popular flag cake is an absolute patriotic dessert show-stopper for the 4th of July. Making this homemade butter cake with cream cheese frosting is a fabulous decision :) 




Flag Cake (From Scratch!) on Brown Eyed Baker :: www.browneyedbaker.com


No comments:

Visitors

Flag Counter